Fairview South Otago
South Otago 03 417 8264


We've included this glossary to help you better understand common joinery terms.

Anodised: ‘Anodised Aluminium’ has been chemically and electrically altered to provide excellent surface protection. Usually produced in silver or bronze.

Awning window: Hung from the top, opens out from the bottom. Can be left ajar in wet weather.

Bay window: A large attractive window which curves outwards from the house. Usually has three ‘facets’.

Bi-fold door or window: A door or window where the panels slide and ‘fold’ against each other to create a wide opening. Ideal for indoor-outdoor flow.

Box section: When you look at the piece of aluminium in cross-section, it is completely enclosed; adds strength and rigidity.

Box window: Protrudes from the house in a box shape (i.e. the sides are at right angles to the main window pane). Excellent for creating warmth and light.

Condensation: The change of the physical state of water from gaseous phase into liquid phase; the reverse of vaporization. Condensation can occur on any surface, but mostly occurs on windows in the family home. You can reduce humidity and therefore condensation by installing double glazed windows and thermally efficient windows

Casement window: Open outwards, hung at the sides.

Double Hung window: The two windows (one on top, one below) slide past each other. A pivot sash lets you tilt each window to clean both sides of it. Great for apartments or smaller spaces.

Extrusion: Plasticised metal is passed through a die which creates aluminium extrusions in the desired shape.

Fabricators: The people who produce the finished aluminium joinery products.

Faceted window: Any window which has a number of ‘faces’ joined by silicon. E.g.: a bay window usually has three facets.

Fixed Light: A non-opening window or pane.

Flashings: These are folded or extruded materials (usually aluminium) which are fitted between the framing of the house and the frames of your windows. They are vital to prevent water penetrating the building.

French Doors: An elegant pair of doors, closing together, which usually opens outwards on to a deck or patio.

Greenhouse windows: Similar to a box window, but with a sloping glass roof. Ideal for kitchens, or creating space and light.

Jamb: The vertical piece at the side of a window or door frame.

Jamb liners: The internal facing between the window or door and wall lining. (Also known as a ‘reveal’)

Mullion: Any vertical piece that appears within a window. It adds interest and effect.

Passive air vents: These are vents installed in windows, to allow a healthy flow of fresh air to the room.

Powder coating: This process applies a paint finish to the aluminium in the form of a powder, which is then baked on to the product. It allows for a range of attractive colours.

Rail: The horizontal edge in a sash or glazed door.

Raked window: A window with one or more of its sides sloping (e.g. a triangular window).

Sash: The part of the window that opens (at the bottom or side).

Sidelight: A glazed panel at the side of a hinged door. Sometimes the sidelight can also be opened.

Stacker door: One door picks up another. A full stacker door will close approximately 2/3’s of its open size. A normal sliding door will close to ½ of the opening.

Stile: The vertical edge of a sash or glazed door.

Thermally broken windows: a term used to describe placing an insulating barrier between the outside and inside portions of the window frame and between the 2 panes of Glass in a double glazed window.

Transom: A horizontal piece that appears within the frame of a window or door.

Vision rail: The horizontal piece that appears approximately halfway up a glazed door. It is excellent for safety.


Fairview South Otago
  • 46 Tokoiti Road
  • Milton 9220
  • South Otago
Site created by Turboweb Limited
site powered by - Turboweb :: Simple Web Manager